Thursday, January 29, 2015

A new Hip for a cool guy!

You know that dream dad? The guy who is always so supportive and is crazy fun. The guy who works hard to provide and does it because he loves his kids and wife.... Well THAT was our dad growing up! ... ONLY BETTER!!
He always did everything in a BIG way! 
I remember family home evenings where he would dress up. He would use a whole bottle of fake tanning lotion, lots of war paint, and make a bow and arrow and a loin cloth to wear just to get a scripture story across to us!.. Don't even ask about Elvis on my Birthday, or a gorilla that popped out and made me pee my pretty girl pants one year..
I don't think I realized at the time how great we had it! I didn't have to because I didn't know any different, until I grew up. That is when reality set in, that he really was one in a million! 
I always knew we all joked about his past, he grew up in Boston, Mass. and only had one ear when an older drunk neighbor threw a hatchet at him and tried to kill him, but it only took his ear off and swiped the side of his head as he ducked. He had a father who was an orphan as a child, then grew up and was welcomed into  the Mafia. He  had never been taught what a good relationship was so he never had one until later in his life.  
My dad was left at the age of 14 roaming the streets alone. He lost his little brother in a gang fight, ( bullies back there) He dropped out of school and luckily the missionaries found him when he followed his mother to Utah years later. 
His story is awesome and unbelievable really.. But what I really wanted to share from this is that my dad beat the odds. Most people who grew up in an abusive home, with broken relationships, and a lot of trauma, become  just that. It shows in their relationships and actions and some use it as an excuse.. They were not taught, and it's hard to break habits!
Well our dad, papa Paul, CHOSE to do things right despite his past! 
In doing Foster Care for the past 10 years we have seen a lot! We have seen a lot of pain, abuse, neglect, excuses,carelessness, lies, etc.
It has really opened my eyes! On the positive side, we also  have witnessed miracles, hope, forgiveness, love, humility, and healing too.
It all has made me think about my own dad's strength! He overcame his past and did not let it define who he was! He not only never touched us kids in a harmful way, but he was an overachiever because he was truly the greatest dad in the world!!!!!!
I have watch my dad serve people with a smile over the years and I think that is one of the greatest blessings he has given me. A love for service! 
I watch him confidently share his testimony and love for our savior everywhere he goes! He makes life fun!! He is one of the most honest men I know! I've watched him rely on our Father in Heaven in the hardest of times and still made life fun for me and my siblings!  I watched him stand firm against doctors and family when he received revelation at a time my mom was dying after the delivery of my twin baby sisters.He was told a hysterectomy was the only chance to save her life. He  KNEW that was not the answer so he told them no! How scary that must have been, being an awesome dad, to keep us happy, but realize how close we were to loosing her too as the babies slipped back into the heavens. The pressure was all on him! Well I'm glad he chose to follow what he knew was true and hold out for a miracle, so is my little brother Joey who would probably would not have been here if he would have caved and approved of the hysterectomy to save our moms life! 
I love his confidence in everything he does, because he does things quite goofy! BUT for having F.A.S.D, he IS A MIRACLE!!
Our dad sold his dream BIKE so he could stop working for months to take care of my grandma as she was dying. He is the most selfless guy I know ( besides my husband;) 
Now he is up north, he had surgery this morning to replace his hip. I am watching videos of him right after surgery and I am a little envious of the staff up there at his bed side because he is HILARIOUS! It is THEIR job to help him be comfortable, and take care of him, BUT he chooses to make the best out of every situation and cares to make other people's day a little better! So he is helping them smile as they work! I'm sure they will never forget him. And if I know him as well as I think I do, I'm sure he is secretly tipping them;) I will say that now and then he does talk a little loud mafia and freaks a few people out, but he's gotta flaw somewhere right?!! Thanks Daddy, for being YOU!!! Get well quickly, WE LOVE YOU!! 
Ps you rock that hospital gown😁
Love, Tiff


No comments:

Post a Comment